Complaints and appeals

HRD Complaints and appeals policy

ADR Complaint Resolution

The ADR alternative

HRD Integrated Services supports ADR (alternative dispute resolution) using a qualified mediation practitioner as a final dispute resolution step

HRD Integrated Services is committed to responding to genuine complaints, grievances and appeals in an effective, efficient, professional, transparent and confidential manner.

If you experience dissatisfaction with a service, if you are unhappy with the assessment process or an assessment decision, or if you have discussed a grievance informally and received an unsatisfactory response, you can lodge a formal complaint with HRD.

The process

You must lodge a complaint within 30 days of dissatisfaction arising, a grievance occurring,  an unsatisfactory resolution of a grievance, or an assessment decision being made.

HRD Integrated Services will make every reasonable effort to:

  • start a resolution process within 10 working days of receiving a complaint, grievance or assessment appeal
  • reach a resolution within a further 10 working days.

When you can complain

A complaint may be:

  • an expression of dissatisfaction with the quality of service provided by HRD Integrated Services (or a contractor) in relation to:
    • enrolment and induction
    • an aspect of training or an assessment decision
    • issuing of results, certificates and/or statements of attainment
    • matters relating to privacy and confidentiality
  • an expression of dissatisfaction with another person’s behaviour or action/inaction that negatively affects you
  • related to other issues such as discrimination, sexual harassment, training facilities or amenities, etc
  • any other activities associated with the delivery of training and assessment services.

You can only use the HRD complaints, grievances and appeals process for issues that involve a HRD staff member or contractor; or for matters that involve another learner while you are both under HRD’s supervision or while directly involved in learning with HRD Integrated Services.

Remember that frivolous or vexatious complaints only waste your time and that of others involved in the process.

Issues external to HRD training

A complaint or appeal about a matter that has occurred in your workplace should be taken up with your employer.

If you are experiencing difficulty with the learning program because of workplace issues, you can discuss your concerns with your trainer. They may be able to assist you reach a solution.

How to make a complaint

There are two main ways to lodge a complaint, grievance or appeal.

Making a formal complaint

You can make a formal complaint using the HRD Complaint, grievance and appeal form. Complaints that are lodged in writing will be formally investigated and responded to according to HRD’s formal resolution process.

You’ll be invited to an interview with the Director, HRD, who will try to establish the details of your concern and give you a fair and reasonable opportunity to explain your case. You will receive a formal written decision.

If you’re still not satisfied with the outcome, HRD will make arrangements to appoint an independent third party to hear the case and help reach a fair outcome for all.

Informal complaints

Raise your concerns directly with the other person. HRD encourages you to first seek an informal resolution to a problem by making a direct approach to the other person. An impartial mediator can be appointed if there’s a need and if both parties agree.

If you have a concern about the assessment process or are unhappy with an assessment decision, you should first discuss the matter with the assessor and/or the HRD Director before making a formal complaint.

Matters that can’t be resolved informally can be lodged formally with the Director, HRD Integrated Services who may then initiate a formal resolution process according to the HRD Complaints and appeals policy and procedures.