LV Rescue Quick Course Info
HLTAID001 Perform CPR is a mandatory pre-requisite to demonstrating competence in UETTDRRF06B Perform rescue from a live LV panel.
To demonstrate competence a participant must:
- complete a short theory test
- demonstrate removing a victim from a live LV situation and performing CPR
RPL is not available for UETTDRRF06B for re-certification purposes.
Current CPR qualifications will be recognised, but HRD recommends a CPR refresher.
A Statement of Attainment will be issued for UETTDRRF06B and HLTAID001 on demonstration of competence.
Training for UETTDRRF06B and HLTAID001 combined typically takes around 5 hours, with up to another 1 hour allocated to assessment.
Training is typically delivered in response to an employer request, so day rates apply.
Individuals seeking training should contact HRD for course availability and cost.
Perform rescue from a live Low Voltage panel
HRD's Low voltage rescue course (Perform rescue from a live LV panel) and CPR training is for personnel required to work on or near low voltage and high voltage apparatus. The course satisfies rail high voltage requirements and is therefore suitable for signal maintainers, high voltage operators.
The course also meets general electrical industry requirements for responding to an incident involving electrical apparatus.
The low voltage rescue course
Training covers the knowledge and skills needed to safely rescue a casualty who has received an electric shock or personal injuries while working on low voltage electrical apparatus. Participants will learn how to use a low voltage rescue kit to competently carry out a rescue. HV scenarios are also covered in the course.
The HRD Low voltage rescue course is delivered as:
- LV rescue – a single unit of competency (UETTDRRF06B Perform rescue from low voltage panel) over 2.5 hours for participants with a current CPR credential; or as
- LV rescue + CPR over 5–6 hours (combination of UETTDRRF06B Perform rescue from a low voltage panel and HLTAID001 Perform CPR).
The LV rescue course assumes that participants have broad experience in working in live electrical locations.
HLTAID001 Perform CPR is a mandatory pre-requisite for this course. to meet their personal duty of care obligations, HRD recommends that all participants complete the CPR refresher, unless the refresher was completed in the 3 months prior to the course.
HRD Low voltage rescue training focuses on the knowledge and skills appropriate to:
- hazard identification and implementing control measures for working on or near live low voltage apparatus; this includes maintaining safe approach distances appropriate to LV rescue.
- preparing for and responding to an emergency situation.
Course content includes
- applying work procedures and instructions as they apply to risk control and personal safety
- inspecting and placing a rescue kit to facilitate prompt rescue of a victim from live LV apparatus
- identifying the isolation point in accordance with workplace procedures
- isolating the electricity supply (where possible) using the appropriate apparatus
- removing the victim from contact with live LV conductors/apparatus according to workplace procedure
- facilitating treatment by emergency services and/or performing CPR on the casualty.
To demonstrate competence participants must:
- complete a short theory test
- demonstrate a rescue from a 'live' apparatus
- demonstrate CPR.